Skip to content.
HEA logo ADM logo

sector funding


The AHRC was established on 1 April 2005, and replaced the Arts and Humanities Research Board. It supports research within a huge subject domain from traditional humanities subjects, such as history, modern languages and English literature, to the creative and performing arts.

The AHRC funds research and postgraduate study within the UK's higher education institutions. In addition, on behalf of the Higher Education Funding Council for England, it provides funding for museums, galleries and collections that are based in, or attached to, higher education institutions in England.

Arts Council England

Arts Council England is the national development agency for the arts in England, distributing public money from Government and the National Lottery.

Arts Council of Northern Ireland

The Arts Council is the lead development agency for the arts in Northern Ireland. They are the main support for artists and arts organisations, offering a broad range of funding opportunities through their Exchequer and National Lottery funds.

Arts Council of Wales

The Arts Council of Wales (ACW) is responsible for funding and developing the arts in Wales. W:

British Academy Research Funding
The Academy supports postdoctoral research in the humanities and social sciences through its research grants scheme, promoting relations between researchers in the UK and overseas, and recognising distinction in scholarship.
T: 020 7969 5200

This site is for European funding opportunities.

Esmée Fairbairn Foundation
Esmée Fairbairn Foundation is one of the largest independent grantmaking foundations in the UK. The foundation expects to make grants totalling £29 million across the UK during 2007 for charitable purposes in four programme areas: Arts & Heritage, Education, Environment and Social Change: Enterprise and Independence.
T: 020 7297 4700

The Fund for the Development of Teaching and Learning (FDTL)
The Fund for the Development of Teaching and Learning (FDTL) was established in 1995 to support projects aimed at stimulating developments in teaching and learning in higher education and to encourage the dissemination of good teaching and learning practice across the higher education sector.
FDTL is funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and the Department for Employment and Learning (DEL).

To find out more about all the FDTL projects, go to the Higher Education Academy's website at:

Some of the projects undertaken have had a particular relevance to art, design and media, more

The Fullbright Commission
The Fullbright Commission offers awards to UK citizens or EU citizens resident in the UK to study, lecture or pursue research in the United States.
T: 020 7404 6880

HEFCE - Higher Education Funding Council for England
HEFCE distributes public money for teaching and research to universities and colleges. It aims to promote high quality education and research.
T: 0117 931 7438

Higher Education Research Opportunities in the UK (HERO)

Leverhulme Trust

The Leverhulme Trust makes awards for the support of research and education. It emphasises individuals and encompasses all subject areas. The Trustees place special weight on:

  • the originality of the projects put to them;
  • the significance of the proposed work;
  • the ability to judge and take appropriate risk in the project;
  • the removal of barriers between traditional disciplines.

T: 020 7822 5220


The National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts
NESTA is governed by a board of trustees accountable to parliament which aims to transform the UK's capacity for innovation. It is endowed with funds of over £300m from the National Lottery. Interest from the endowment, returns from investments and other public and private sources of income are used to fund its activities.

T:020 7438 2500

Scottish Arts Council

The Scottish Arts Council is the lead body for the funding, development and advocacy of the arts in Scotland

The Council for International Education provides advice and information to international students studying in the UK and to staff who work with them.
T:020 7107 992

  • Page Navigation

Stop Press!